Tuesday, February 21, 2012

Training with the Trainer

Met with the trainer today at a local park. She brought her older male Aussie and her younger male GSD. Quinn does not like GSD's for whatever reason, I was a little nervous.
We started with her getting out her Aussie and setting him up about 12' from the sidewalk. Quinn and I just started walking toward them. As we got closer, when he noticed her dog, I paused and when he chose to disengage, I marked the behavior and ran away (okay, by the end I was walking away). Quinn figured out that he could ignore the dog completely, he was on a loose leash walking back and forth in font of and to the side of her boy. She then had me go into the parking lot and she walked her Aussie by Quinn. He got a little upset, but wasn't overloaded. At one point we were walking behind them and Quinn acted as if he wanted to catch up to them.
She then brought out her GSD. I wasn't sure how Quinn would react. We started out the same way and Quinnie did very well. We had one outburst, but he settled down and it was much quicker for him to learn to ignore the dog. I walked around them and moved a little closer. Then she and I walked the dogs side by side (about 6-10' apart) down the soccer field and back. Quinn had no outbursts he reacted very well. I'm so proud of him!

No comments: