Sunday, April 13, 2008

Door Training!

Today I did some training with my dogs and a guest dog. I spent time teaching my dogs not to run out the door without permission.
I learned this technique from a very good trainer and friend, Shirley Chong.
The premise is you let the dog dash outside, (onlead) give them enough room to stand and think about what's happening, but not have any fun. Let them back in and tell them what a horrible experience they just had. If they control themselves, you Click and Treat them for hesitating, for sitting and for looking at you.
I did a refresher on Danny and started with 15 seconds, then doubled it to 30, then 1 minute. He then figured it out and didn't dash out the door. He's done this before, but I know he's had some chances to practice bad behavior in the recent past.
Missy was next, I've been somewhat afraid of trying this, she chews on leashes and I was concerned she might escape. I used a very thick nylon lead that belonged to my first dog, a GSD.
She didn't take long (just a minute) before she was sitting and waiting at the door.
Quinn was last, he took the longest at 2 minutes. I think being outside without me wasn't pleasant, he did whine and bark a few times, but he just couldn't resist dashing out that open door. Tomorrow we'll try the front door and then Tuesday go back to the side door.

No comments: