Tuesday, April 1, 2008

April Fool's Stay

I haven't posted recently, but I have been training.
At my last Novice Ready class, Quinn was still having a very difficult time holding his stay. He'd be able to last until I was 22' away then he usually broke and came to me.
So I wondered why 9 paces was the magic number? It seems my usual training area (my dining room and living room) only allows me to get about 22 feet away from him. So today I put him in the kitchen and walked to the other end of my house. He only broke once. I kept returning to him and feeding him. I didn't do any recalls, because I really need to get the stay/wait part solid before I add anything else.
Danny got sucked into the stay vortex and ended up doing stays with Quinn. Missy just ran around behind me. I realize I should have had her do stays also (hers are worse than the boys). But I'm recovering from a cold and didn't have the energy to deal with her today.
I read my most recent Front and Finish and there was an article on a different method to teach scent discrimination. I've always had difficulty teaching this exercise, because my dogs love to retrieve and really don't care too much about the scenting part. It uses Altoid tins, so now I need to go out and get 5 tins.
On March 24, I layed a track for Danny as soon as I got off work. It had just one turn, it was about 50 yards down the side of the parking lot in front of my workplace then a turn about 5 yards and then the glove. Danny's not always solid on turns, he does fringe, so I wanted some age on the track.
I went home changed clothes and went back. Danny started out great, unfortunately the area I started the track had stickers, so he kept having to stop so I could remove them (or he could chew them out). After we got through the bad stuff, he did very well. When we came to the corner, he barely casted around, almost immediately took the corner. He was doing great.

No comments: