Wednesday, January 30, 2008

Danny's Achievement

I took Danny to the Drop in class at the Obedience Club and tried some Open exercises. Danny has issues with other dogs, so I'm very careful about him being near other dogs.
I began to teach him the Broad Jump exercise, one of the Open exercises I haven't ever tried to teach him. He did very well, I began with the three boards jammed up together and an Agility him over them. Had him jump that for a while, then opened the boards up to the distance required. After that I pulled the bar out of the Agility Jump then removed the uprights. When we go back this Thursday, I plan on keeping the boards at the distance required, but putting the Agility jump back.
After we practiced the broad jump another member asked to come into the ring to practice. Danny's met her dog and I thought it would be okay (and it was). I continued on and practiced Off Lead heeling and the Drop on Recall. We did retrieve on the flat--he had a nice clean pick up. When we did retrieve over the high, I realized I need to proof for the jump. He anticipated several times, then he went around the jump when the dumbbell went wide. I did not practice the stays (no point). Even if he never competes, I really enjoy training him. He's not Gita (my heart dog), but he's a damn good obedience dog.

No comments: