Saturday, January 7, 2012

Day 2, Petco

My trainer gave me homework. It was to go to PetsMart and spend 10 minutes just walking around the store. No shopping, focus only on Quinn and interrupt or correct his bad behavior and reward the good. She also suggested I find a smaller class at the obedience club and get him either into the class or take him into the building--I'll work on that later!
Today I decided to take him to Petco, it's the same isn't it?
Apparently not. PetsMart on Friday is very very different from Petco on a Saturday. Quinn was over the top. When we first started in, he was fine. We got just inside the doors and he spotted the rescue booth. It wasn't the two Italian Greyhounds there to be adopted that make him bark, but the little Schipperke that was dancing around while the owners talked to the rescue people.
At that point, correcting him did not work. I just turned and got out of the entry-way. I should have turned around and left.
I worked on rewarding him and trying to stay as far away from the Schipperke and his people as possible. We were there about 5 minutes and had worked our way back to the grooming area. He barked a bit over the dog barking in the grooming room, but soon calmed down. We moved away to the Aquatics dept. He was nervous at first, but calmed quickly. We did a couple of pivots and were admired by a Dad and his daughter buying fish. As we moved back toward the door, I knew we'd have to pass the rescue booth. I moved up to the end of an aisle near the booth and we worked on not growling or barking at the Iggies (that he now decided needed to be barked at). When he calmed down I moved away and back up the next aisle, closer to the door and the booth.
We were almost even with the booth when the Schipperke and his people came down the main aisle, back to show off his new coat to the rescue people. Quinn once again went over the top. We moved back by the ferrets because I couldn't get him to calm down at all. Once the Schipperke was out of sight, he calmed down pretty quickly (he didn't care about the ferrets at all).
As soon as the Shipperke and his people left, we got the heck out of there. I now know, do not go to the store on a Saturday morning!

No comments: